New Adopt-a-Plot program
The Arboretum is happy to announce an Adopt-a-Plot program beginning this Fall. Students and community members will have the opportunity to adopt their very own plot to grow herbs and veggies at the Arboretum!
The general requirements are described below. Are you an experienced gardener? If so, there will be opportunities for you to take a leadership role within this program!
Each adopter will be assigned a plot in the Arboretum area depending on their group size (2+) and skill level.
Adopters need to first provide the following:
- Class and work schedules or general availability throughout the semester of adoption
- 2 hours (minimum) a week of labor on the plot
- Two (2) dedicated adopters that will work on the plot
- Their own seeds or plants (plants must be legal, non-invasive and annual plants)
- Closed toed shoes and re-useable water bottles
- A satisfactory score on the Arboretum activities guide quiz (given after the application is processed)
The Arboretum will provide tools during operating hours (Mon-Fri 8am-3pm). Tools must be checked out and returned during these hours. Adoptions last one semester with the opportunity to renew upon staff inspection and approval. Individual and general volunteering is available Monday through Friday at the hours noted by the current volunteer schedule (available in our office and on the Arboretum website).
After your application is processed, you will be given further information on qualifying for this exciting, community-building program!
To learn more about the Arboretum, visit http://arboretum.cos.ucf.edu/.